2018/03/24

Entwine

I was long overdue for an official avatar to post in all of my online profiles for my website, business card, LinkedIn, deviantART, etc.

I wanted something to represent me, to tell everyone my identity with just one look. After all, first impression is important, from job searching to dating. It was tough to decide on an art style, since I love all kinds including cartoon, realism, anime, abstract, etc. For recruiters, it is good to have a stylized caricature for an animation studio, while a game studio would prefer a realistic environment design, and so on. Another issue was that I wanted one that will describe the kind of person I am. But again, I couldn’t decide on one thing about me to make as the theme, for I love everything from classical to modern. And what about the mood? Should I give it a bright and saturated color scheme or a cool and more serious one? Finally, I designed a split composition to incorporate two art styles, two sides of me, and two color schemes that I can showcase. :D

One side is a mix of me in the Real World as well as the idealistic style found in video games. It has mostly cool colors and reserved saturation. This girl is a traditional, classy, humble, mature, and elegant woman who enjoys nature and harmony. The other side is a more graphic style of what I may look like if I had the liberty to dye my hair whatever color I wanted, had less rules and more freedom of expression, and so on, with abstract forms that aren’t found in the Real World to portray ideas that pass boundaries. It is composed of a warm color scheme that is more saturated and colorful. This girl looks fun, loves excitement, wild and free thoughts as portrayed by sweeping lines, and has all these ideas just waiting to burst out into the world. I framed the canvas as a circle to further show that this image is one piece as well as symbolising yin and yang.

It is delightful hearing the perspectives that others see when looking at it. I’ve heard many amazing and creative viewpoints that I myself didn’t even think of from numerous people, many of them accurate to me. Which makes me happy to see how diverse individuals can view me as. That’s one of the things that an artist enjoys, the subjective thoughts of others. ^__^

---
This was for the front of my business card. The back side is here: Journey's End

---
Completed in 2016 July 13.